The most popular and common esthetic treatment our clients provide is high frequency treatments. But what exactly is high frequency, what is the best way to perform these treatments, and why add these treatments to your spa menu?
|High Frequency is used to enhance circulation,
increase collagen and elastin production, and
eliminate toxins and bacteria from the skin surface.
High frequency is used to kick-start the skin rejuvenation process. It has been shown to enhance circulation, increase production of collagen and elastin, eliminate toxins and acne-causing bacteria, encourage lymphatic drainage, exfoliate dead skin cells, and assist with absorption of skin care products.
High frequency current stimulation forces an infusion of oxygen-rich molecules into the skin, which cleanses, massages, stimulates blood flow, and dilates superficial blood vessels. Because of the increased blood flow, high frequency tones the skin (similar to muscle toning). Application of high frequency current promotes a cleansing antibacterial action, and the skin is left feeling energized, rosy, firm, refreshed, and noticeably softer. The dilation of blood vessels pushes toxins away from the skin9s surface, and allows the skin cells to feast on increased nutrients and hydration.
How Does it Work?
With high frequency skin treatment, a chemical reaction causes the emission of ozone into the air. Ozone is a form of oxygen that has germicidal properties and is extremely beneficial for treating acneic skin. The more oxygen that surrounds the electrode, the more ozone is formed and the greater the effect. When the electrode is lifted away from the skin surface, more oxygen surrounds it, a more intense drying and healing action occurs. This method is called “Sparking”.
High frequency facial machines include glass electrodes which come in different shapes and sizes to treat various contours of the face and body. When applied to the surface of the skin, a mild electrical current passes through the neon or argon gas filled glass electrode causing it to emit a subtle glow. The electrodes produce varying intensities of infrared light and a pleasant, therapeutic tingling sensation which may be adjusted via a power control dial. High Frequency Electrodes produce either a neon orange or violet colored glow depending upon the inert gas that they are filled with. We have found that both colors produce equally effective results.
|High frequency units come
with a variety of electrodes.
General Instructions for Usage
1. The esthetician holds the electrode and works in circular motions for 3-5 minutes.
2. Can be used directly on dry skin or lay dry gauze over the face. (The current has a more stimulating effect when applied over a dry cloth.)
3. All treatments should be started with a mild current, and gradually increase intensity.
4. “Sparking” is a technique used on acne blemishes and lesions. Sparking is accomplished by placing layers of dry cotton gauze over the skin, creating a gap between the skin and electrode. Upon treatment, the “spark gap” releases ozone from the electrode to destroy bacteria and aid in drying pustular infections. IMPORTANT: Never create a gap of more than ¼”, as tissue destruction can occur and the skin will heal leaving brownish marks.
Basic High Frequency Step-by-Step Instructions
1. Insert the chosen glass electrode into the high frequency machine; it should just snap in to place.
2. Turn the high frequency machine down to a zero level and turn it on. Wrap the cord around your arm once to keep the cord from dragging across the client’s skin.
3. Hold the handle of the high frequency electrode in the hand that you normally work with. Place your index finger on the glass electrode. Do not remove your finger until the electrode is in contact with the client’s skin. Removing the finger too early creates an uncomfortable spark effect on the client’s skin.
4. Place the electrode on the client’s skin and remove your finger. Increase the intensity to a comfortable setting. Glide the electrode over the face in a circular motion. Maintain continual contact, not pulling away more than ¼ inch. Start with the forehead, then move to the nose, cheeks and chin.
5. Treat problem areas such as individual blemishes by “sparking” the spot with the edge of the electrode. Place your finger on the electrode, touch the electrode to the spot and remove your finger. Quickly replace your finger on the electrode, remove the electrode from the face and repeat in another area.
6. Place your finger back on the electrode and remove it from the client’s skin. Turn off the high frequency machine and sterilize the electrode.
• Gentle, non-invasive alternative to plastic surgery
• Immediate (temporary) lifting effect
• Soften and smoothes away fine lines and wrinkles
• Reduces large pores
• Effective acne treatment
• Reduces dark circles around eyes
• Stimulates healthy hair growth (comb attachment)
• Decongest puffy eyes
Further Details on Benefits
1. Acne: Sometimes the body can become immune to certain acne medications if used over an extended period of time. When combined with an effective acne treatment lotion, regular application of high frequency keeps the acne away long after other expensive medications and treatments can fail. High frequency gently cleanses the skin of acne-causing bacteria and unwanted toxins while making the skin more receptive to acne lotions, creams and other skin treatment products. The results can be extremely dramatic – even after only a few treatments!
2. Enlarged Pores: With regular use, high frequency skin care treatment can be very effective at reducing the size of enlarged pores, softening skin and controlling excess sebum production. The gentle spray of oxygen molecules produced by the high frequency current diminish enlarged pores by penetrating deep down into the root of the affected area and cleaning out unwanted debris and toxins allowing the pore to quickly regain its natural size once again.
3. Fine Lines, Wrinkles, and Sagging Skin: The oscillating action of high frequency can increase blood circulation, which in turn nourishes the skin’s surface and renews underlying cells. It also produces an enriched form of oxygen, which can provide the skin with a firm, youthful, vibrant glow. It can diminish the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, tighten double chins and jowls and improve overall skin texture and tone by promoting increased collagen production.
4. Puffy Eyes: The pulsating “oxygenation” action produced by high frequency current aids in lymphatic drainage and disperses excess fluid while increasing blood circulation. The result is a reduction in the appearance of congested, tired, puffy eyes. High frequency also helps the skin more efficiently absorb skin care products thereby extending their effectiveness.
5. Dark Eye Circles: New scientific research has shown the cause of severe dark eye circles to be broken capillaries that have leaked hemoglobin, creating a red-blue pigment deposit under the eyes. High frequency creates a circulation rush in the area and helps your current under eye product penetrate deeper into the skin tissue. The application of high frequency can be very effective at fading dark under eye circles resulting in a fresher, brighter, more youthful looking appearance.
6. Cellulite: With regular use, high frequency treatment can be very effective at reducing the appearance of cellulite when used in conjunction with a quality cellulite product. For years, the skin care industry has relied on this same high frequency, oxygen molecule producing technology to aid in lymphatic drainage, gently exfoliate the skin, increase blood circulation, assist in the production of collagen and elastin and promote healthy cell metabolism. The result: smoother, firmer, more refined skin.
7. Thinning Hair: Through its rapid oscillation, high frequency current improves the process of nourishment, gently exfoliates the skin, promotes local blood circulation, stimulates local glandular activity, supplies heat to the area which is soothing to the nervous system and significantly improves the scalp’s receptiveness to and the overall effectiveness of post-treatment hair growth formulas. For many years, hairdressers have used high frequency current technology to revitalize scalp conditions which can aid in promoting healthier hair growth.
1. Avoid using AHA or Glycolic Acid products with high frequency machines.
2. Avoid contact with broken capillaries, spider veins and areas of rosacea.
3. Do not use high frequency during pregnancy (although there is NO clear evidence stating side effects).
4. Do not use if your client has a pacemaker, heart disease history, or epilepsy.
5. Avoid wearing metal jewelry while using high frequency. Avoid use on clients with braces.
6. Never operate a high frequency machine with a broken bulb.
7. Do not use outdoors, near water or around combustible substances.
This Blog Post: More Popular Esthetic Treatments Explained: High Frequency originally appeared on Blogger.