The process of looking for the perfect mag lamp can be a bit daunting and confusing due to the amount of options that are available:
- Square Head versus Round Head
- Rolling Stand versus Clamp Attachment
- Stand-alone Unit versus Multi-function Machine Attachment
- 3, 5 or 8 Diopter lens
While 3 of the 4 are based upon personal preference, understanding what the Diopter is essential to ensuring you purchase the best lamp for your needs. Below is the mathematical translation from diopter to magnification:
- 3 Diopter = 1.75x Magnification Power
- 5 Diopter = 2.25x Magnification Power
- 8 Diopter = 3.00x Magnification Power
And here is the simpler way to understand Diopters:
- 3 Diopter = Items look 1.75 times larger than normal
- 5 Diopter = Items look 2.25 times larger than normal
- 8 Diopter = Items look 3 times larger than normal
Typically, 5 Diopter Mag Lamps are the most popular, as they are a happy medium between the strong 8 Diopter and weaker 3 Diopter.
What type of Mag Lamp do you use? What do you like it about it?
This Blog Post: Decoding Diopters: Understanding the Magnification Power of Your Mag Lamp originally appeared on Blogger.